Reflections on a Thirty Dollar Mug




How would you feel, dear reader, if you paid thirty dollars for a mug?

It's very nice.
As mugs go.
Handpainted in Italy, it depicts a delightful lemon on a vine or on a lemon tree. I was so startled to see lemons growing on trees, it became kind of a joke. So the mug is appropriate in that special oh-yes-my-trip-to-Italy-if-only-I-were-still-there kind of way.


Signed by the artist.
It's very lovely.
But you know, I'm having problems looking at it. A mug should not cost thirty dollars. It was 22 euro, so I'm not exactly sure how many dollars it was.


It was the last night before I was leaving the next day and I was in that wtf mood, buying madly in every direction. I thought it would bring back lovely memories of my trip.
And it does. Don't get me wrong.
I don't know, though. My mother would be rolling over in her grave to know I spent that much.
Okay, enough of that. Imagine my excitement, dear reader, to know that I am driving a condemned car. That's right, a 2010 Toyota Camry, recalled for....are you ready?
2010 Toyota Camry

a gas pedal that could--COULD--start accelerating out of control while I am--well, I guess I could be anywhere.
Parking lot at Hannaford's? LOOK OUT FOR THOSE CARTS! IT'S GOING TO BE UGLY!
Mass Pike? I DON'T WANT TO GO TO ALBANY! HELP!
College parking lot? DON'T MESS WITH ME, YOU SLACKERS! YOU'VE HANDED IN YOUR LAST LATE PAPER, SONNY!
And finally, this past Friday was Truck Day at Fenway Park.
The truck that will haul the Red Sox equipment to the team's spring training facilities in Fort Myers, Fla., was parked, wrapped, and ready to load outside of Fenway Park on Friday morning. The banner wrapped around the truck reads, 'Bringing a piece of the Green Monster to Florida.'

The day that they ship all the soaps and towels and packets of chaw down to spring training. Wow, that is one big rig. Imagine how many humans could squeeze in there. That could be one fun party too. Because you KNOW that everyone along the way honks and waves and yields right of way. It must be wicked fun to be the driver.
Mark Twain says, concerning man,
"Hope springs up, and cheerfulness along with it, and then he is in good shape to do something for himself, if anything can be done."
A rivedercci con amore,
Becky

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment